  Thursday, March 23, 2006
Last week a report from the Univ.of Calif. libraries Systemwide Operation
and Planning Advisory Group's Bibliographic services Task Force was mentioned on
 the Autocat list. Its title is "Rethinking how we provide bibliographic
services  for the University of California". It can be found online at:
Librries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sopag and then scan down and click on the  report.
It's about 80 pages long but the exec. summary and recommendations are
shorter. My printer couldn't handle some pages but I was happy to see their
recommendation I.8: "Provide better searching for non-Roman materials, allowing
searching in both Roman and in the vernacular, sorting results in
language-appropriate ways and displaying results in both Roman and vernacular  forms."
     Regards,
          Jim [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   )