Ed Glazier wrote:

> There has been some discussion in the past few days on the NACO Music
> Project listserv about the impact of adding death dates to existing
> headings and the fact that cross-references from the old form (without
> the death dates) are not currently allowed in NACO records.

Two points.  First, while such references may not be useful (may even be
undesirable because confusing) in public catalogues, they may be useful
in a staff view, especially for cataloguers; therefore the prohibition
may not always be appropriate.  4XX $w already provides for reference
display to be suppressed.

Second, a possibility could be to extend the application of authority
7XX tags to hold such superseded forms.  I grant that this seems to be a
distinct extension of the function of 7XX, which seem to be applied
purely for information (except, I suppose, in bilingual sytems).

Hal Cain
Joint Theological Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia