Thursday, March 23, 2006
Last week a report from the Univ.of Calif. libraries Systemwide Operation and Planning Advisory Group's Bibliographic services Task Force was mentioned on the Autocat list. Its title is "Rethinking how we provide bibliographic services for the University of California". It can be found online at: Librries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sopag and then scan down and click on the report. It's about 80 pages long but the exec. summary and recommendations are shorter. My printer couldn't handle some pages but I was happy to see their recommendation I.8: "Provide better searching for non-Roman materials, allowing searching in both Roman and in the vernacular, sorting results in language-appropriate ways and displaying results in both Roman and vernacular forms."
     Regards,
          Jim [log in to unmask] )