At 01:02 PM 4/3/2006, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Richard:
>
>This is an increasingly common problem with a number of video tapes as well.
>If, in past postings, you have seen me mention "binder-base adhesion
>failure"- this is what we have been calling the phenomena for the last few
>decades.
>Final comment- we developed a procedure to deal with binder-base adhesion
>failure about 10 or 15 years ago.  Unfortunately, the procedure takes a few
>months and is only successful about 60% of the time.
>
>With the work in tape restoration and recovery we have done over the last 23
>years, we consider binder-base adhesion failure to be a much more serious,
>though less frequent, decay problem than binder hydrolysis.

Well, this is the first major instance of BBAF that I have seen, but
the Cal State Fullerton tapes were showing an incipient version of
that and we did trace that to a nightly economizer cycle in the HVAC
system. We also found this to be a self-healing situation as I've
previously discussed. The conditions were precisely as you describe
with daily variations in relative humidity ranging up to 75%
overnight on some days.

In your treatment of BBAF is there any risk that the currently stable
portion of a tape showing partial BBAF might have the now-stable
portion made worse during the treatment? That was a discussion we had
and we opted to look for the stable sections as the opening was
stable and we felt there was a chance that it was stable farther on.
We got 10 of approximately 13-15 minutes of total family voices
recording on the tape. The clients were pleased.

When we unspooled the BBAF sections, many of the portions came off
like a badly started roll of toilet paper with two separate layers
coming right off the spool.

Thanks,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.