Richard

I, personally, have not received any errors when I have used it. I am
very good at breaking things, so I am surprised that I haven't had a
problem.  I don't know about the others who use it.  I will have to
inquire and get back to the list.

Miriam

Richard L. Hess wrote:

> At 09:01 AM 4/27/2006, Miriam Meislik wrote:
>
>> Good morning,
>>
>> We use Toast442.org's MD5, http://www.toast442.org/, to run our
>> checksums.  It is free Windows software and works rather well from
>> our perspective. We have used it for about 3 years.   All checksums
>> generated are kept in the folder containing the digital files and is
>> named so that we know exactly what it is for.  In our case, we give
>> everything a batch number, so the checksum is saved using that
>> particular batch code.  Should the data in folder change, a very rare
>> occurrence, the checksum would be run again.
>

> In the three years that you (or anyone else) have been using this, has
> it ever reported an error that was not reported by the operating system?
>
> If you have had an error reported by either the checksum software or
> the operating system, was it repairable in any way or did you go to
> another copy?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>

> Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.
> Aurora, Ontario, Canada       (905) 713 6733     1-877-TAPE-FIX
> Detailed contact information:

Miriam Meislik
Archivist/
Photograph Curator
Archives of Industrial Society
University of Pittsburgh
7500 Thomas Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
(412)244-7075	voice
(412)244-7077	fax

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh
http://images.library.pitt.edu/pghphotos

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
--Steven Wright