David,

I know that this is wandering off the mission statement for this list,
but I never let that stop me before. I'll "try" to not go on too much.

Amram is certainly a one-off and most interesting as a horn player,
jazzer and chronicler of an era (actually more than one, but
particularly the Beat one). Just finished reading his second volume of
memoirs (never got around to "Vibrations" yet, but will eventually)
"Offbeat" and found it quite touching, though quite self centered (hey,
it's an auto-biography!).  He is not in the absolute first rank of
horn-player who do (did) jazz (Watkins, Varner, possibly Graas and some
others), but a ground breaker, nevertheless.

Amram lives about an hour up from NYC in Putnam Valley (just north of
Westchester County).

I have his phone number via the Local 802 directory and can give it to
you if you contact me offlist.