Quoting myself in a message I just posted:

 >I know that this is wandering off the mission statement for this list,
but I never let that stop me before. I'll "try" to not go on too much.

 >Amram is certainly a one-off and most interesting as a horn player,
jazzer and chronicler of an era (actually more than one, but
particularly the Beat one). Just finished >reading his second volume of
memoirs (never got around to "Vibrations" yet, but will eventually)
"Offbeat" and found it quite touching, though quite self centered (hey,
 >it's an auto-biography!).  He is not in the absolute first rank of
horn-player who do (did) jazz (Watkins, Varner, possibly Graas and some
others), but a ground >breaker, nevertheless.

I should add (and to actually tie it to an ongoing thread) that I was
simultaneously reading Dylan's Chronicles Vol. 1 and Amram's memoir (due
to finding them both on the same remaindered list at Daedalus books) and
found it a powerful mix that intersected on more than one occasion. If
the areas of beat in the 50's and the 60s folk scene are of  interest to
you, try this double dip.

OK, I'm sorry, that's it on this thread for me,

Peter Hirsch