  Brenda is correct. It's true that air conditioning was added to Orchestra
Hall during the 1966 renovation, but the project was undertaken for far bigger
reasons. The majority were calamities, above all the idea that the sound of
the hall could be improved, whereas it was wrecked. But another was the
practical one of giving the CSO members a reasonably comfortable backstage space for
themselves, which they'd never had. I remember standing on Michigan Avenue
during the summer of 1966 and looking through the glass on Orchestra Hall's doors.
I could see traffic on Wabash Avenue, a block behind the building. Everything
in Orchestra Hall, including its stage and back wall, was gone. All was
rebuilt and reconfigured during the renovation.

  Don Tait