steven c wrote:
> [...]

I had a friend who followed Joan Sutherland around the world, taping
every performance she could attend. She might not have forty of her
Normas, but surely over a dozen.

There are some song cycles with so much room for interpretation that
many singers will record them many times. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau may
be heard on many commercial releases of the great ones - and even in his
heyday there were live performances which have been preserved. The only
comparably intellectual singer (with a great instrument) today is Thomas
Quasthoff; I have about a dozen of his performances of Winterreise - and
no two are alike. (Admittedly, he's had several accompanists over that
dozen and the "accompanist" in that cycle is more nearly a partner.)

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/