Bob Conrad wrote:
> Okay, this has just become my number one pet peeve.
>
> This message was just delivered to my e-mail inbox, but was hidden all
> the way back in my saved messages because for some reason the date on
> this "new" message is 12/15/2004.
>
> If this truly is a new message, then could everyone here do all of us a
> favor and fix the date on your computer to the correct current date?  Or
> has one of us discovered the secret to time traveling?  If so, I can't
> imagine why anyone would want to go back to 2004!
>
> But, if for some reason this message has been held up in oblivion for 1
> 1/2 years, then would it be asking too much to have the list manager put
> today's current date on the message before releasing it and sending it
> to the group?
>
> There's nothing worse than having to spend 20 minutes going back through
> years of saved e-mail messages in order to find some newly-delivered
> message.
>
> BC
>

> Mike Richter wrote:

I just received it as well. While I cannot attest to the date, I can
assure you that
a) it is ancient (by Internet standards)
and
b) my computer clock is accurate and has been since well before the date
of that message.

I do not believe that the listowner or anyone else can interfere with
the process of timestamping - or with the vagaries of list servers in
holding and disgorging messages.

Looking at full headers, it is clear that it was received by
[log in to unmask] on the day sent, but was spooled at LOC for over a
year, when it was moved from one queue into another and eventually
drifted out:

by sun8.loc.gov  with ESMTP id k3BFAZLj011518 for
<[log in to unmask]>; Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:10:43 -0400 (EDT)

id iBFEZ3sn012576; Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:11:41 -0500 (EST)

release 1.8e) with spool id 300041 for [log in to unmask]; Wed,
15 Dec 2004 18:02:18 -0500

sun8.loc.gov  with ESMTP id iBFN2HZD007801 for <[log in to unmask]>;
  Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:02:18 -0500 (EST)

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/