[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Is there a list of those .mp3 compressions that are compatible with various
> versions of players? What is the most commonly playable .mp3 format?  My
> relatively old (2 year) CD .mp3 player will only play a few of the currently
> available .mp3 files.

The 'standard' MP3 is 44.1 ksps, 128 Kbps, CBR. Commensurate sample
rates (22.05, 11.025) are quite likely to be handled well in various
players. Incommensurate rates (48, 24) and VBR are less likely. Bit
rates in excess of 128 and below 32 can also be problematic, but that's
seldom a factor if sample rate is commensurate with 44.1.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/