Nice trick, Tom.  AFAIK, .pls is a Real Player extension which is just
as intrusive a program as iTunes.  I don't use either, but I'm told it
is not iTunes itself that invades the system.  It is QuickTime, which
these days has been the bane of the internet.  Be prepared to have it
take over mp3 association within your browser.  And good luck changing it.

There are *many* players out there that do a great job without taking
control.  Winamp is still a very good choice.  I use AudioActive
www.audioactive.com for mp3 playback.  Their StreamPlayer is not an easy
thing to use, but man, does it sound nice.  Both are simple players
without the bells and whistles.  I don't need all that, I just want to
hear the file/stream.  There is no need to use what came loaded on the
machine.  There are very good alternatives out there.  Most are free.
All you have to do is look.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Arvada, CO