Hi All -
  Thanks for the many references to Cocaine Habit.
  However, the point of my inquiry is  what is the genesis of the
transmuted version of the song by Feeneys band, and whether other
non-versions of the song have been collected or recorded.
  I though on hearing this recording how utterly bizarre this rendering
is.  As confirmed by the references provided by list members, this song
is widely known and disseminated in tradition.  What possessed Feeney to
make the strange version which they recorded?
  Any thoguhts, insights and references greatly appreciated.
  Best wishes, Thomas.