Actually, in the old studio system, actors and musicians were (and are)
both paid happily quite well, but that only came about when they became
unionized.  Before the unions, the studios almost owned the talent with
very tight controls on what they could and couldn't do, what they were
paid and what hours (many twelve or more hour days) they worked .

But today, Hollywood now remains as one of the best paid dominions for
talent, although as in any type of creative endeavor, the cream doesn't
always rise to the top.  But, if you think about the MGM musicals made
in the "golden days" of  movies, the results were and still are quite
wonderful.  We all were (and are) able to visit Oz, because of the
technical, creative, and musical  side of the Hollywood industry.  And,
as a legacy,  today we still have some excellent Broadway recreations
such as "Chicago".

Needless to say, I worked union and have benefited from it even today as
a retiree with one of those vanishing pensions and health coverage.  The
Hollywood union motto is, "We Take Care of Our Own", and I can attest to
that being true.

I'm sure I'll get some reverse comments regarding the Hollywood "closed
shop", but that has changed since I first started (the fifties), and
many can and have entered the industry if they can show that they have
worked in the given profession even for a number of months.  The "Catch
22" is whether some Hollywood company will hire them.  Today, a person
must constantly "network" to stay on the "inside" if they're lucky
enough to get that initial break and knowing someone on the inside is
almost a necessity.  In my day, I and others got their lucky break by
getting a job in the mailroom (it still happens).

As far as I know, there are very few union jurisdictional conflicts
today, because those details and boundaries have been in place for decades.

Rod Stephens