   Dr. Maccaferri,
       Thank you for your reply. It does help. I was wondering though. Would I be so far off-based if I changed my authority control to reflect the title page and put a "see also" reference for the other heading; ie. "Applegate, K. A." is the authority but "Applegate, K (Kathryn) A. (Alice)" as a see also reference?
   Colleen
What you learned in library school is correct in principle, but the title
page upon which the authorized heading was based may have shown different
usage from what you see, and/or rules in AACR2r chap. 22 may have required
or permitted additional elements in the heading. The latter appears to be
the case with Applegate: the fuller form of the person's name was added
under the provisions of AACR2r 22.18. If there is an authority record for
the person in question, change the heading on the bibliographic record to
match the authority record.

There is no easy answer for the Wilson example. When the name on the chief
source matches several different authority records, you need to do a little
research. Compare the topic, publication date, and any other information
you have with the data given in the authority record 670 field(s). Search
your catalog (or LCs, etc.) for other records by the different persons with
the same or similar name to determine if their is any similarity with what
each person writes and the topic of your work. Then, in the immortal words
of John Byrum, "make a decision and move on."

Hope the above helps.

James Maccaferri, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Dept. of Library Science