Dear Gérard,
(copy to the JAC email list)

Thank you for your response (below).

Detailed principles for inclusion in the alpha-2 and the alpha-3 code tables of ISO 639 are developed by the ISO 639 JAC. It hasn't been possible to make absolutely "mechanical" rules, and we do sometimes have extensive discussions. However, in the case of these three items there was consensus.

As you will know the entire situation of ISO 639 is undergoing changes. The finalization of ISO 639-3 gives us a new situation. The JAC is currently revising its principles and working methods. The new principles will be publicized on the JAC web site.

It is a strong principle that it isn't in any way "better" for a language to be encoded in the alpha-2 table than just in the alpha-3 table. Alpha-2 and alpha-3 identifiers for the same item shall be considered synonyms for all applications. Future publication of the code tables will make this even more explicit.

The principle that I quote has been decided by the JAC, and it is a very "strong" principle. The reason is that adding additional (alpha-2) identifiers to items that already have ISO 639 alpha-3 identifiers will disrupt encoding and create problems for some users. The IETF has been a very strong advocate for this principle. In the aftermath of the disrupted encoding caused by the change of value for "CS" in ISO 3166, which has in fact given "ISO" bad reputation in the IETF and the "Internet community", the ISO 639 JAC has been extremely clear about our avoidance of changes that can cause disruptions.

As to the two following issues:

Northern Sotho / Pedi is encoded nso. A proposal to add an alpha-2 identifier has been discussed by the JAC earlier, and it was not raised again at this point. I am sorry that this hasn't been conveyed to you before.

Seselwa French Creole is a new item for ISO 639. It will be discussed and decided by the JAC in due time.

The final issue, Serbo-Croatian, has been discussed extensively by the JAC. There is no clear consensus as to how to resolve the issue in the best possible way. The JAC is fully aware that this is in conflict with the principle that the alpha-2 code table is a subset of the alpha-3 table (as far as included items is concerned). The JAC will find a way to resolve this conflict, but this may have a wait until 639-3 has been finalized.

Best regards,
Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad
mailto:[log in to unmask]