Colleages,
Lest we forget something about what we provide to our patrons: Just
because LC is going to tag the series as "490 untraced" doesn't mean that
you can't provide access to that information as some sort of "series
tracing" in your own OPAC. Granted, it isn't going to be under "authority
control", but it isn't as if you can't use the information. Yes, there is
lack of precision in searching that will certainly make it more difficult
for some kinds of work, but, there will be thousands of titles where the
"traced" form would be exactly as it is on the item anyway. Let's not
confuse the issue of LC policy with what you can control in your own
catalog.

Lois

Lois Schultz
Head, Monographic Cataloging Section