Adam, I'm not sure your example necessarily makes the case for the series
authority record.

Let's assume most users begin (and go no further than) keyword searching.
It's my understanding that most OPACs don't apply keyword indexing to
references in authority records, but most do keyword indexing of variant
title fields in bibliographic records.  Given user behavior and the common
limitations of the OPACs, wouldn't it be better to use a bibliographic
record to control  the series access? Such a bibliographic record could be
cataloged by default at the minimal level standard, perhaps validated by
CONSER. (Since LC is getting out of the series business, what other body
could determine standards?)

If no SAR was created, but a series bibliographic record with index fields
for all variants was made instead, you could include a note in the
bibliographic record, e.g.,

"Separate records have been created for titles in this series. For
individual titles, click here: [established form of the heading] or here:
[call number for the series if classed together]"

The heading/call number could then be hotlinked in a web catalog to
retrieve all records with that series/call number.

You could also add instructions to staff to trace the series, give the
appropriate form of numbering, etc. ; these instructions would not need to
display in the OPAC.

If a SAR is used to control series access, keep in mind that not all OPACS
have title browse searches that combine  titles with the references
generated by authority records. This impacts if the citation is using a
variant form, the scenario you are evoking.  In LC's OPAC, the Title search
listed at the top of the search options will retrieve  the 47 items in the
series Information, computer, communication policy. However,  if the
variant form ICCP is used, a Title search will not retrieve a reference to
the established form; the searcher would have to use Series/Uniform Title
Browse to take advantage of the SAR reference from ICCP to Information,
computer, communication policy. On our OPAC, also Voyager based,  the
equivalent index is called "Uniform Title as Main Entry (e.g. Bible,
Arabian Nights)" and is 9 index options below the Title search. (You have
to scroll down to actually see it). I note without comment that this is the
last option provided in our OPAC & the 2nd to the last option on the LC
page. On the other hand, if ICCP was in the 246 field of a bibliographic
record, a simple title search would retrieve the record. (I also note that
the lack of reference availability in the Title search is not clear from
the help screens for Title.)

Some disadvantages that I see with SARS:

1. the common lack of keyword indexing noted above; the not uncommon split
indexing problem noted above
2. many staff find authority record coding incomprehensible (in contrast,
one can write staff notes in plain English or the equivalent in a
bibliographic record holdings field). In general I think information you
can enter in bibliographic records is not as limited by the abbreviated
nature of information in the SAR. The whole culture of authority work seems
to privilege extreme brevity; consider the recent thread on (title not given).
3. Because of acquisitions workflow, a bibliographic record for the series
is often needed for receipt. For staff who need to find the bibliographic
record, creating a SAR seems redundant (variant forms entered in both bib &
SAR). Why not just display the bibliographic record?
4. SARs require references from issuing bodies which have to be
established. Much expensive effort to create these; how much benefit as