Just to build a little on Diana's comments about being able to trace but
not collocate series headings in online catalogs.  One related
threatened class of material that I don't think anyone has mentioned:
classed together series.  We have many classed together, usually
scholarly, series.  These are under a double threat of no longer
collocating in either the catalog *or* on the shelves.

And this leads to a very big "ripple effect" concern here that, in our
Opac, a hitlist of authority-controlled series entries that stops at a
certain number (or volumes that stop being shelved with all the other
books in that classed tog. series on the shelves) will lead any average
user to conclude, and very reasonably, that this means we don't have the
later volumes.  So the sad truth is that abandoning series authority
compromises not only future series headings but past ones as well. Will
it lead us to retrospectively remove authority control from series
entries to maintain collocation under title page forms?   Sigh ....

We're going to need a lot of deep breathing to weather what's ahead.  I
keep trying to remind myself that many authority-controlled series
titles will be the same as their title page forms and that we will be
able to spend less time setting up the authority structure for many
insignificant series (or doing all the work of setting up a series just
to note that it shouldn't be treated as a series at all but as a quoted
note!).  It will be interesting to see if these hopes are borne out.  Do
we have any idea how many authority-controlled series titles are the
same as their title page forms?

Celine Noel
UNC-Chapel Hill