From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy H Turner
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 8:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: LC's series announcement

As could easily have been predicted, there is a lot of concern about LC’s recent decision to stop providing authority control for series. Pat Williams asks whether LC will withdraw from PCC and code its records as minimal level. IMHO, it would be much better for PCC to follow LC and our British colleagues in considering series statements to be description rather than controlled access.

Though I am committed to authority control for names and subjects, I believe that controlled access for series is something that we can give up without the public as a whole ever noticing. As anecdotal evidence, I queried several well-educated library patrons about their use of series tracings, which turned out to be non-existant. A Ph.D. in math asked, “What’s a series?” I gave the example of Lecture Notes in Mathematics, which he recognized, but couldn’t imagine using as a search. This, as I said, is anecdotal evidence, but others of you can gather more of the same.  Or just think of your own use of the catalog before you became a cataloger, or of how new catalogers have to learn what a series tracing is, and that it is under authority control.

Cataloging policy has grown out of tradition, without input from users, who are now voting with their mouse clicks for Google-like access. I believe that authority control can enhance this sort of access, but that it will be a different, streamlined type of authority control, and need not include series.

Amy Turner
Monographic Cataloger and Authority Control/PCC Coordinator
Duke University Libraries, Durham NC