Charles Croissant wrote:

"I am also concerned about the decision-making process here. LC has a
special position in the Anglo-American library community, and with that
position come special obligations. A decision of this magnitude should
not be made unilaterally, without input from all the other interested
parties."

At this point one of the unknowns is how the PCC will respond to this
decision and what final decisions they will make.  I feel that the PCC
is at a critical cross roads, we need to position ourselves as an
organization for the future.  I think it now up to the PCC to take the
role LC has held and take over the special obligations that it now seems
to have rejected.  I hope that as things are discussed that the PCC with
get input from all interested parties and make a decision that stands
with tried and true standards and principles.  LC has the right to make
decisions for their own collections, but the PCC needs to make decisions
that are best for the whole cataloging community.  This is a very
critical crossroads and I feel that a poor decision at this point for
the PCC could mean that the PCC will no longer be a viable force in the
cataloging world and we will have to cease any cooperative effort at
all.  It is now up to us to decide if the PCC will die or if it will be
a vital force into the future.  I hope that more discussions will take
place and that the PCC will make an informed decision.

Rachel Wadham

Rachel L. Wadham
Name Authorities Librarian/NACO Coordinator
6736 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, Utah 84602
(801) 422-6780