Hi, Sue,

Have you looked at Henry Wilhelm's site? He might have some ideas as
to how to do this on a budget, although he might be making things
colder than you wish.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

The top articles in the left column are a good place to start. I
think there are hints in there as to how to make cost-effective
freezers for your home, but if you take the same idea and maybe make
it not as cold, you should be fine.

I'm wondering how much, long term, this costs vs. migrating to digital.

I've been studying the degradation of tape recently, and while there
is no immediate new crisis (there are a few known ones) the long-term
storage to me is not favorable. In addition to the big problem of
machine obsolescence, the chemistry of the tapes is not conducive to
100+year life.

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.