Your post is either just flippant or displays your profound ignorance of
how governments work. Lawmakers make laws. Some of these laws are good,
others bad. Other government agencies often study various issues and the
effects of laws on these issues and write whitepapers and reports that
can be used by lawmakers and others in the field to shape public policy,
which is precisely what the NRPB studies are doing. This is a good
thing, not evidence of some monolithic "government" where the right hand
doesn't know what the left hand it doing.

I welcome the NRPB studies and hope they help educate our policymakers
on the detrimental effects of lengthy copyright terms on preservation.

David Seubert
UCSB