Since we do a lot of disaster recovery, I strongly agree with Jim and
Richard's statements that alternate copies should be sought before spending
large amounts on restoration or recovery of specific items.  Suggesting that
clients look for alternate copies prior to disaster recovery is one of our
first recommendations when a disaster occurs.

On the other hand, we do see a lot of unique materials (both in disaster
recovery and basic age/obsolescence related restoration work).  In addition,
we are fairly well known for being able to restore materials that were
thought to be unsalvageable.  As such, we see a fairly large volume of
materials for which "extraordinary" measures must be taken.  There is no
greater satisfaction than the joy expressed by a client when we can return
to them unique recordings that they had been previously told were
unrecoverable.

Finally, while it may not be the best cultural or historic yardstick to use
in determining what should be restored, many restoration jobs (as Karl
points out) are determined by donor interest.  It certainly makes sense, in
a large collection, to preserve the greatest volume of material at the most
reasonable price (assuming this does not jeopardize quality).  It also makes
sense, however, to preserve what a highly motivated donor wants, rather than
what an archivist or administrator thinks is best, if that is the only way
the donor will supply the money.  Most archives can't afford to pass up
donations, even if there are significant strings attached.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(973)777-5055
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983