Karl Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2006, Richard L. Hess wrote:
>

>>High density data tape still the "champ" according to this article:
>>
>>http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187203437
>

> Thanks for the forward. Can someone help me...I recall an article in the
> not too distant past where some "IBM" scientist claimed that magnetic tape
> offered the greatest longevity for the storage of information...is my
> memory correct? and if so, am I the only person who finds it
> interesting that our data tape "champ" is produced by...."IBM?"

Longevity of information on any medium is determined by durability of
the medium and its retention of information. Data on tape storage may
illuminate the first of those (depending on tape formulation as we know
all too well), but the second is unlikely to have carryover from
previous technologies.

In short: the jury is out and not expected back for quite some time.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/