Can anyone on this list (Steven perhaps or Roger) tell me if they
know of the existence of a 78 recording by an African-American
singing duo called Johnnie & George? As legend has it Sammy Cahn was
attending a show at the Apollo
Theatre in 1937 and these guys sang "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen" in
Yiddish! Apparently, the audience went completely nuts.

I am wondering if this version was ever recorded/released and if so
does anyone on this list have a line on obtaining it? I would of
course love an original but a CD copy would be great as well. I
learned of the performance from an interview with Henry Sapoznik of
the Yiddish Radio Project and he seemed to think it might actually
exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Aaron Levinson