There may still be on the net the disaster recovery plan I wrote for the
Boston Public Library after its flood in 2000.  I think I addressed some of
these.

Edisons are lamenated, often with fine wood powder inside which absorb
moiture easily.  My recommendation, discard them.

Water should not affect the belts.  Fire will.

Wire.  It should be stainless steel (but is not always.)  This is pretty
robust in storage but may be subject to possible tangling if suddenly heated
and cooled.  Also, of course, the magnetic signal may be affected by intense
heat.  Not much you can do about the last issue.

One thing I recommend is a scanner and/or xerox machine to save the
documentation.  It requires someone adept at numbering to tie the artifact
to the affiliated debris or its picture.  During the recovery process,
there's a whole lot of triage going on to avoid poising the rescuers.

Steve Smolian