Don't blame you for not liking them, it is a personal choice - but they
have good enough isolation that they needn't be that loud even in live
situations. I use Sennheisers when I need more isolation, though 99% of
my work is acoustic music with 85 dBA average levels... Been using the
Sonys since 1982 or so, whenever they first came out. Most of the
advantage for me is consistency - I know their sound very well.

But then, I don't use headphones for pleasure, just for work...

Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689