Here is another one from LIBREF-L.

Andrew

------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion of Library Reference Issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pedrick, Andrew CIV
DTIC B
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 4:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LIBREF-L] Going Virtual

A couple years ago the NASA Headquarters Library was directed to
consider doing this.   We worked with vendors to try to get the best
deals, but found that:

-Most of the books in the collection were not available in digital
collections because they were government publications, scientific &
-technical, or were out-of-print (yet still frequently used).
-Agency management was oblivious of the copyright cost of scanning the
collection.
-The books that were online cost more than print editions and would
likely have to be repurchased every few years as the technology changes
(just as the book-on-tape collection was being replaced by book-on-cd).
-Many of the journals were not online, including some of those most
important to the patrons.
-Those journals that were online, were not complete online.
-The cost of purchasing the journals online for 1000 users greatly
exceeded the cost saved from reducing space and staffing.
-The cost of purchasing databases for 1000 users was also several times
the current budget.

Andrew Pedrick