From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Håvard Hjulstad
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Divehi, Dhivehi (was: RE: Error Report (fwd))

(1) In the Thaana script (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaana <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaana>  & http://www.omniglot.com/writing/thaana.htm <http://www.omniglot.com/writing/thaana.htm> ) the name seems to be:

Øދިވެހި

(letters dhaalu+ibifili vaavu+ebefili haa+ibifili)

That is Romanized "dhivehi" according to the system given in the Wikipedia.

So the Romanized form of the indigenous name seems to be clearly "dhivehi".

The question, however, is not the indigenous name. Looking up "Divehi" and "Dhivehi" in English returns more hits for the former, but a significant number also for the latter. And since the "daviyani" letter ("d") represents a spirant sound, while the "dhaalu" letter ("dh") actually represents the "d sound", there is every good reason to retain the English form Divehi.

However, I don't have any objection to adding the other form, in effect changing the English name from "Divehi; Maldivian" to "Divehi; Dhivehi; Maldivian".

The French name is just "maldivien". Should it remain unchanged?

The indigenous name is already correct.

(2) Do we need to vote on changing the English name from "Divehi; Maldivian" to "Divehi; Dhivehi; Maldivian"?

Håvard