John --

See
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-userguide-elements.html#coordinates

------
<coordinates>
"coordinates" contains a statement of coordinates covered by the
resource. One or more statements may be supplied. If one is supplied, it
is a point (i.e., a single location); if two, it is a line; if more than
two, it is a n-sided polygon where n=number of coordinates assigned. No
three points should be co-linear, and coordinates should be supplied in
polygon-traversal order.
-------

We should correct this.

"statement of coordinates" was intended to represent a single point (i.e. a
single pair - latitude and longitude) and looking closely at it, it doesn't
(it seems that it represents a bounding box, i.e. 4-sided polygon).  So we
need to change the wording, so that:

" 'coordinates' contains a statement of coordinates covered by the
resource. One or more statements may be supplied."

should be replaced by something along these lines:

" 'coordinates' contains a pair of coordinate representing a single
geographic point.  It   is repeatable (so one or more points may be
specified)."

I  take it that you want to represent a bounding polygon, arbitrary number
of sides (i.e.  not limited to a 4-sided polygon)?

--Ray