At 04:42 PM 5/24/2006, Joseph Kiegel wrote:
>PCC should also consider taking a
>more active role in gathering real evidence to inform decisions about
>cataloging through thorough and ongoing user studies.   Anecdotal evidence
>alone is not sufficient to justify continuing a given practice, but the
>debate is filled with assertions that "our users rely on X to do their
>work."

Conversly, one would think that such studies should have already been
undertaken to provide evidence that X is NOT relied on to do their work.

Peter V. Fletcher
Serials & Electronic Resources Catalog Librarian,
Bibliographer for Germanic and Russian Studies

Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
Tulane University
7001 Freret Street
New Orleans, LA 70118