Just back today from a short (too short!!) vacation.  I'm adding some
comments on Amy's comments from last week, which I'll try to do without
flaming ;-)

> If there is a new, distinctive series title to be established, do so with
> the macro, reprogrammed so that t it won't supply a source for the series
> statement.   Does it really matter whether the statement comes from the
> series t.p., the t.p., or the cover?   A title is a title ...

I think the answer to Amy's question depends on what "really" means.  The
current rules for selecting the series title proper prescribe a preferred
order of sources, with the series t.p. being first, the t.p. being second,
etc.  Having the exact information of which source has been selected is
probably necessary only when the form of the series title varies between
or among sources.  Having the information enables us to retrospectively
figure out occasional problems that may arise regarding series.  Not
having the source is much more likely to require later additional effort
retrieving issues of a series if a question arises than having the
information present in the authority record right from the start would.

If we are going to eliminate recording the source of the series title,
then why would we continue to bother to record the source of an author's
name, which usually is taken from the t.p.?  I don't think it's too much
of an effort to correct the source "ser. t.p." that is inserted
automatically by the OCLC macro if it is not the actual source of the
series title.

> If the title is not distinctive, add the AACR2 form of some distinguishing
> body in ()'s.

Generally speaking, I have no problem with this.  Except that some times
adding a body is not sufficient to make the title distinctive and
provisions would need to be in place to add something different or
something in addition to make it distinctive.

> If there are variant titles, either in one publication or over time, use
> judgment about whether there is a name change or not, and either make
> cross references or another AR linked with see also's.   Do not agonize
> between these two choices--either works in guiding users to tracings.

Since series can be cataloged as serials, the rules for treating title
changes must be the same.  I happen to think consistency in application of
title change rules is important, so here I personally think that some
agonizing is necessary.  This is particularly true for those libraries
that create both a bibliographic record for the series cataloged as a
serial AND individual records for the parts of the series.  The series
access points and decisions about major title changes must be identical.

> Make whatever other references are judged useful to get users to the
> tracings.

I wholeheartedly agree that a liberalization of the rules and restrictions
on making references would serve users well.  We cannot expect
non-catalogers to know that certain kinds of references are not made, even
when it's highly likely that users search under them.  A good example is
when the series title proper is in one language but the authorized
qualifier used is in another, e.g.

Report (Brottsforebyggande radet (Sweden))

In a case like above, I think a reference such as

Report (National Swedish Council for Crime Prevention)
   and/or
Report (National Council for Crime Prevention (Sweden))

would actually be very useful references to have in our catalogs to help
users, although they are references that are not currently permitted by
NACO.

> Add the AR to the authority file, and move on.

And a corollary to this might be that if creating a series authority is
going to cause a lot of agonizing and take several hours of a cataloger's
time, then perhaps the effort in establishing that heading is not
warranted and the bib. record should not be contributed as a BIBCO record.
Catalogers should be empowered to judge for themselves when they would
be better spending that time creating other bib. records and authorities.

--Adam Schiff

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *