I'm hesitant to ask this over the list because I feel foolish but the
authentication discussion has caught me off guard. Could somone fill us in
on the decision to require an LCCN for authentication and redistribution?
This will be a change and an additional workload for monograph catalogers.
Are other BIBCO libraries taking this on for all integrating resources or
only for key resources? Are other BIBCO libraries changing their workflow
by moving some categories of integrating resources back into their CONSER
workflow rather than their BIBCO workflow? Will the LCCN requirement be a
barrier for PCC contribution of bib level i material? Can we
upgrade/enhance a bib level i record without authenticating?

Thanks
Kate

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Les Hawkins wrote:

> Adam, I think what will happen is that first OCLC will convert the IR
> records from the interim bib level m format to the continuing resource/bib
> level i format. They will probably want to do that as soon as possible.
>
> Retrospective authentication of these records could begin later after
> several issues have been settled- and at least in my mind, I was thinking
> this would be up to the institution/cataloger if they wanted to go back
> and add an LCCN and the appropriate authentication code to distribute
> records they created. I don't know - and hadn't thought about - what the
> possibilities are for automating the authentication of retrospective IR
> records.
>
> Right now, we haven't settled on the authentication code that will be used
> in combination with an LCCN to "trigger" the distribution of IR
> records- it may be something other than "pcc" that both BIBCO and CONSER
> members can use for IRs.
>
> The other distribution issue to work on is CDS being able to accept these
> records here at LC and making sure they are distributed in a new combined
> serials/IR file for subscribers of the current MDS-serials file. CDS has
> indicated that July 2006 (or there about, those folks have a lot on their
> plates right now) would be the earliest they could begin to look at it.
>
> Les
>
> On Wed, 31 May 2006, Adam L. Schiff wrote:
>
>>> 2) CONSER and BIBCO members won't be able to authenticate bib level i
>>> records in the continuing resources format until details regarding
>>> authentication codes and distribution through LC and CDS are worked out,
>>> probably no sooner than fall 2006.
>>
>> We have authenticated numerous (I could probably generate a count from our
>> catalog if one is desired) records for integrating resources as BIBCO
>> records cataloged using the interim guidelines for many years now.  What
>> will happen to all of these records that are already coded 042 pcc but
>> that don't have LCCNs assigned?
>>
>> If they can be retrospectively added LCCNs, couldn't the same be done for
>> integrating resources cataloged with BLvl i and coded pcc in 042?
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> **************************************
>> * Adam L. Schiff                     *
>> * Principal Cataloger                *
>> * University of Washington Libraries *
>> * Box 352900                         *
>> * Seattle, WA 98195-2900             *
>> * (206) 543-8409                     *
>> * (206) 685-8782 fax                 *

Kate Harcourt
Head, Original Serial and Monograph Cataloging
102 Butler Library
Columbia University Libraries
phone: 212.854.2714
fax: 212.854.5167