Kate, sorry, I realize now that my message of May 26 went to the details
first without providing any context. I can address some of these
questions.

The recommendations for distributing IR records with serials in a single
CDS file were developed in 2001 by a PCC task group, final
report: http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/archive/tgintegrfinal.pdf

One of the recommendations was that BIBCO members on OCLC and CONSER would
have the capability to update/enhance IR records on OCLC- thats the
assumption we are working with now. So yes BIBCO libraries could enhance
these records on OCLC without authenticating them.

I think that we cannot require individual BIBCO members using OCLC to add
the LCCN and the new, IR authentication code when creating IR records. But
these two elements would be needed in the record to cause it to be
selected for distribution through a combined CDS serials/IR
subscription product.

Looking back at the summary of the 2001 joint BIBCO/CONSER meeting, I see
that the idea of automatically generating LCCN for BIBCO IR records was
discussed as a possibility to help minimize problems caused by adding this
new step for BIBCO libraries. Perhaps this is something that can be looked
at again soon. (here is the link for the summary:
http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/conop2001.html#9)

Les