Leslie, Sue-

We tried doing something like this at the Harry Ransom Center.  We would
export content from a File Maker Pro database into a text document, edit,
and parse and validate in XMetaL.  We had problems applying any sort of
hierarchical relationships within the <dsc> so we just used the information
in the database to create the indexes of our EAD documents (because our
indexes are pretty shallow compared to the folder list.)

Basically, we would create new fields (we called them calculation fields)
that combined EAD tags and content from fields within the same database.
This is the process we used to export entries for the Correspondents Index:

Correspondence

1.	Create index calculation fields in Filemaker Pro.  (See EAD Tagging
document for details.)
2.	Find all records in collection.
3.	Sort records:

a.	Sort by NAF(Name Authority File) Index Form and Bradley Location.
b.	Export in order of

                                                               i.
Bradley author corr index calc

                                                              ii.
Bradley location corr index calc.

c.     Export data into a tab-separated text document.

d.     Save to a convenient location (i.e. desktop.)

4.     Open Tab separated Word document. Make sure "Show All" view is
selected.

5.     Edit Word document:

                                                               i.
Remove Tabs

                                                              ii.
Replace [..] with [.]

                                                            iii.
Replace [.(space).] with [.] or [empty]

                                                            iv.      Replace
[(space)(space)] with [(space)]

                                                             v.      Replace
all curly quotes.  (Remember to deselect the "Replace straight quotes with
curly quotes" option on the Auto Format Options on the Tools/AutoCorrect
Options/ AutoFormat as You Type menu)

Replace

*          "Box" with "Box"

*         "Folder" with "Folder"

vi.    Replace [-.] with [-(space).] caused by open ended date ranges
without spaces following hyphen.

6.     Add appropriate front matter tags to XMetal document. (Remember to
close tags at end of index)

a.       <eadheader relatedencoding="MARC21"> <archdesc>

b.       <archdesc level="collection">

c.        <dsc>

d.       <odd type="index">

e.        <list>

f.        <head>

        7.     Copy text of edited Word document and paste into XMetal XML
document

8.     Validate document in XMetal and save.

Our Calculation fields looked something like this:

Author/persname index calc:                            <item><persname>&NAF
index form&</persname>#

Author/corpname index calc:                           <item><corpname>&NAF
index form&</corpname>#

Periodical index calc:

[Make sure persname, corpname and periodical index form are applied to
proper records when creating field values]

Location index calc:                                           --#&Bradley
location&</item>

Where "&" is used to combine tags with field values and "#" represents a
space.

The result was something like: Persname -- box.folder (or) Corpname --
box.folder  (or) Periodical title - box.folder

Addy's set up at the Tarlton Law Library (UT) is definitely worth looking at
too.

-Catherine

Catherine Stollar, Archivist

Harry Ransom Center