The DTD needed corresponds to a given XML document, which is why you
won't find a program wide setting for a default DTD.

Each XML file should have a DOCTYPE, where you can specify the location
of the DTD. Here's ours:

<!DOCTYPE ead PUBLIC "+//ISBN 1-931666-00-8//DTD ead.dtd (Encoded
Archival Description (EAD) Version 2002)//EN" "../../../ead/ead.dtd">

The last part has a relative path for the DTD file. If this path does
not exist or points to someplace where the DTD doesn't exist, XMetaL
can't find the DTD and will ask you to supply one (but it won't remember
the next time, since the path wasn't saved in the file).

If you have all of your finding aids stored in one folder, I would put a
copy of the DTD there, and your relative path can just be "ead.dtd". If
they're in multiple folders, I would try and find a base folder to dump
the DTD file in, and then reference that in all of your finding aids
with a relative path (like in my example DOCTYPE).

If I remember correctly, the Rules subfolder is for XMetaL to recognize
the document type when you create a new EAD document from within XMetaL.

Ryan Wick
Information Technology Consultant
Special Collections - OSU Libraries
Oregon State University