From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education
& training
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 6/14/06 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: On My Mind (AL, June/July issue)

This article in the latest issue of American Libraries distressed and
upset me. The teaching of cataloging and classification is fundamental
to our profession. I have decided that a formal, written response is
appropriate and necessary. Those of us who really understand the
significant issues we face and the challenges of an insufficient number
of LIS faculty who teach these (and related) courses by choice need to
speak up!

I have been teaching cataloging courses and conducting research
initiatives focused on the knowledge, skills, and competencies for
catalogers (especially entry-level positions) for several years. After
the ALA Conference in New Orleans I will become the ALCTS Committee for
the Education, Recruitment and Training of Catalogers chair. Please
continue to share your comments and perspectives. The stereotypical
cataloger of Dewey's days is gone -- we have arrived and need to be
heard!

Sylvia D. Hall-Ellis, Ph.D.
Library and Information Science Program
University of Denver