Cheryl:

I think if we expect professionally trained librarians to oversee or
integrate "industrial" cataloging into what has been primarily a
"craft" model, we need to teach them how to evaluate cataloging based
on what it should be doing in theory. By evaluation, I mean the usual
"one-at-a-time" kind of evaluation, as well as in a batch mode.  In a
sense, this approaches the problem of cataloging both as a "craft"
(which it has been traditionally) and as a "product" (which it is
becoming).

I'm not certain how this might fit into a standard cataloging course
(which I only taught a few times, in the dim mists of the past), but
I've used simple forms of these evaluation techniques in a two-day
course I'm doing for ALCTS (Metadata Standards and Applications).
Clearly, if we look at what cataloging managers do, evaluation of
cataloging as a product is an increasingly important aspect of their
jobs and builds on (but is significantly different than) traditional
cataloging training they might have received in school or on the job.

In some respects, this is part of a broader view of traditional
cataloging information as a particular flavor of structured data:
which must be managed, maintained, and transformed as needs change.
It may well be that taking this view (as opposed to a primarily
"craft" view) might break down whatever resistance remains on the
part of some students to take cataloging classes.

I do realize that this view breaks down barriers sacred in some
library schools between traditional librarianship and the other
information management specialities not oriented towards library
practice.  I think that's intentional on my part, because I believe
that there should definitely be fewer barriers. Those students aimed
toward libraries should have a much better grounding in data
management and presentation, and those looking towards careers
outside traditional libraries should have a much better sense of what
has been learned in over a century of information organization in
libraries.

Diane