This article in the latest issue of American Libraries distressed and upset me. The teaching of cataloging and classification is fundamental to our profession. I have decided that a formal, written response is appropriate and necessary. Those of us who really understand the significant issues we face and the challenges of an insufficient number of LIS faculty who teach these (and related) courses by choice need to speak up!

I have been teaching cataloging courses and conducting research initiatives focused on the knowledge, skills, and competencies for catalogers (especially entry-level positions) for several years. After the ALA Conference in New Orleans I will become the ALCTS Committee for the Education, Recruitment and Training of Catalogers chair. Please continue to share your comments and perspectives. The stereotypical cataloger of Dewey's days is gone -- we have arrived and need to be heard!

Sylvia D. Hall-Ellis, Ph.D.
Library and Information Science Program
University of Denver
2135 E. Wesley Ave., #100