Adam replied:

>> Make whatever other references are judged useful to get users to the
>> tracings.

"I wholeheartedly agree that a liberalization of the rules and
restrictions on making references would serve users well.  We cannot
expect non-catalogers to know that certain kinds of references are not
made, even when it's highly likely that users search under them.  A good
example is when the series title proper is in one language but the
authorized qualifier used is in another ... "

I would like to add that our current restrictions on references also are a
hindrance to certain aspects of machine processing. Some of the rules on
references I think are based on the assumption a human brain will be
looking at them (possibly, a human brain that knows more about cataloging
than the average user). But we have automated many parts of authority
control, so we also need references that are machine-friendly, so headings
get flipped when they need to be, and headings that shouldn't be flipped,
don't get flipped.

Diana Brooking             (206) 543-8405
Cataloging Librarian       (206) 685-8782 fax
Suzzallo Library           [log in to unmask]
University of Washington
Box 352900
Seattle WA  98195-2900