Paul,
	Note the 7th paragraph in the FAQ question #1.
			Judy

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/01/06 6:51 PM >>>
The PCC series FAQ says: "Non-PCC copy cataloging (040 $a is a single
code other than "DLC"; 042 contains "lccopycat"): existing series
statements/access points will be accepted as is and "passed through.""

The 042 authentication code "lccopycat" is defined in MARC 21 as:
"Code lccopycat signifies that the Library of Congress has used
another organization's record as the basis for its cataloging. All
headings have been checked against the relevant authority file
(except subject headings not from Library of Congress Subject Headings)."

Since LC is not verifying series headings, "lccopycat" does not apply
when LC uses non-PCC copy. LC is violating the MARC 21 standard if it
is implementing the policy as written.

The definition of the code is useful to keep; it is helpful for other
libraries to know whether LC verified headings or not. A new code
could be defined, but I'm not sure how valuable that would be; we can
tell from the 040 that LC has used someone else's copy.

Paul J. Weiss
Chair, PCC SCS

Paul J. Weiss
Catalog Librarian and NACO Coordinator