On 10/07/06, steven c wrote:
> see end...

I think it would be more like a couple of thousand. There are dozens of
small labels issuing reissues of quite obscure artists, and it must be
worth their while. Testament is a strong example, their issues are all
licensed from the majors. APR, who issue piano recordings, seem to own
the tapes of Fiorentino that they issue.

My impression is that there is a good market in Japan.

> So, from the fan's viewpoint, it is important to get and keep that
> recording into someone's catalog...but from the multinational-
> commerce viewpoint, only reissues that produce significant amounts
> of profit will ever see "the light of day." This means that IF the
> "one-man-and-dog" (would you settle for "one-man-&-cat?") firm is
> either satisfied with the miniscule profit figures that accompany
> reissues of obscurities (or, better yet, the man...and possibly
> the pet are devotees of artist, composer or whatever, and thus
> willing to put out reissues at a dead loss) or have other reasons
> to justify the project.

There could be enough profit for a small company with low overheads, but
not enough for a major with a big head office.

> Sadly, the US copyright laws (soon to become the prototype for
> ALL copyright laws?) make it totally illegal for the chap-&-pet
> operation to reissue material without the (very expensive)
> permission of the multinational conglomerate who own the copyright
> on the original recording!
>
> Just cross your fingers that Canada's currently US-ophilic Federal
> gummint is slow in extending the copyright term to reach back far
> enough to cover Edison's recitation of "Mary Had a Little Lamb"
> (or any sound recordings made in the Roman Empire or ancient
> Greece should same be discovered by archaeologists...)! I have
> some 40,000-odd (some VERY odd) sound recordings, about 99.5%
> of which I could legally reissue from here in Oshawa, Ont'o.,
> Canada...
>
> Steven C. Barr

Regards
--