At  7/12/2006 06:23 AM, David Lewis wrote:
>These stations, in a lot of cases, have been around for decades, a leftover
>from the 60s and 70s approach to expanding access to media in the public
>interest. The RIAA have not come after us full-bore quite yet - I don't know
>the details, but right now a decision as how to collect from stations like
>WCBN is tabled.

For broadcast, RIAA is not the issue. BMI and ASCAP (and SESAC to a
lesser extent) are. Radio stations are obligated to pay owners of
copyright on compositions for the right to broadcast, but not the
owners of copyrights on recordings.

It is my understanding that the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
pays a blanket fee to ASCAP and BMI (and SESAC?) that covers all
noncommercial radio stations, including those that do not otherwise
qualify for CPB support.

Unfortunately, the reporting process is structured so that composers
and songwriters whose work might be widely broadcast on community
radio stations will never receive a fair share of royalties.

Streaming a radio station on the Internet opens up a whole different
set of royalty obligations. That's where the RIAA get involved.
Ultimately, streaming audio services (both radio stations and
independents) will have to pay for the right to use recordings, but
the amount, and the mechanics of collecting and distributing payments
remain to be determined.

John Ross