Jeff Brown wrote:
> Given the mechanical fragility of the base material in VHS and Beta
> video tapes, is it possible to manually wipe mold from such tapes without
> rendering them unplayable?
>
> And what does anyone think about the chances of success of removing the
> head drum from a video transport and building in some sort of fabric wiping
> pad system?

For VHS, I'd suggest modifying a commercial rewinder rather than
tampering with the VCR. That is not only because of the cost of the two
machines but more because there are fewer other parts to be munged by
the debris.

Given the tolerances in the hardware, there's little chance that anyone
without experience and calibration equipment could work on the head
assembly and leave the result workable.

The above might also be viable on Betamax, but the hardware is all but
unavailable today and my experience with it is too limited to offer even
the little confidence I have with VHS. In addition, Betamax tapes and
head assemblies have proved far more fragile in my experience than VHS.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/