Language Archives wrote:
> The University of Chicago's Language Archives has several French and
> German LPs where the speed is given as 33 rpm, rather than 33 1/3. Is
> this significant?

If it is accurate, it shifts speed by 1% and pitch by a sixth of a
semitone. For music, such an error would be noticed by a sensitive
musician or a person with "perfect pitch". In practice, it would be of
little importance even there, well within the normal range of diapason
from one performing group to another (A=436 instead of A=440). Indeed, I
believe pitch may drift by that much and more during a performance.

For spoken material it would be even less significant. However, one
cannot rule out the possibility that the notation on the disc or
documentation is an approximation and that the recording is actually at
33 1/3 rpm. In common usage, the LP is referred to as a "33" just as
44.1 ksps is referred to as "44" - unfortunately, often with the wrong
unit specified (e.g., kHz).

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/