  May I write something about the Columbia/EMI/Philips business in response
to Roger's message -- after I say that this software for some reason doesn't
permit me to select portions to which to reply? Thanks for your indulgence.

  Some of what I am about to write is based upon recollection, which can be
unreliable. Corrections will be welcome. However, here is the story as I know
it.

  Columbia USA and Columbia UK had exchange agreements from the first decade
of the twentieth century. Ownership of the two companies changed in many ways
until the 1940s, but the exchange agreement -- the ability to release each
others' recordings in each others' territories -- was unchanged.

  The connection between the two companies was dissolved in 1952, by which
time UK Columbia was part of EMI (as it had been for decades). Columbia USA
signed an agreement with Philips for release of Philips recordings in the USA
(after a year or so, primarily the Epic label) and for Philips to arrange for the
release of USA Columbia recordings in the UK and elsewhere. Also for Philips
to make recordings for USA Columbia in other countries.

  The most important factor in this, probably, was Sir Thomas Beecham. Until
the dissolution of the Columbia agreement he and the RPO had been recorded by
EMI (Columbia). The end of the contract meant that Philips engineers would do
it from then on. They did, almost always in EMI's various venues. Those
Beecham LPs were issued by USA Columbia and UK Philips until about 1955. In that
year, Beecham re-signed with HMV (EMI). That meant another change for him.

  To back up: when UK Columbia EMI lost its USA affiliate in 1952, it
established Angel Records in 1953. Early Angels all derive from UK Columbia. Victor
had its exchange agreement with HMV until early 1957.

  Beecham's first HMV LPs -- Schubert 6, Handel's Solomon and so on --
appeared on Angel in the USA in 1956/7, probably because the HMV agreement with
Victor was about to expire. There were probably complicated issues, but I don't
know anything about them. If someone does, I hope you will write. Regardless,
USA Columbia went on issuing Beecham titles made earlier, including some of the
late Mozart symphonies, through 1955 or '56. Years after they were recorded
and when Angel was releasing new Beecham recordings.

  Don Tait