Oh jeez,where to begin here ? Are you completely brushing aside,labels like Folkways,Takoma,and Delmark ? Takoma,you recall,also gave us the a cappella gem "Ever Since I Have Been a Man Full Grown" http://www.wirz.de/music/takomfrm.htm (I own an original of this.) These labels introduced many of us buying records in the 60s,to the likes of Reverend Gary Davis,Sleepy John Estes,Mississippi Fred MacDowell(Paving the way for his landmark 1969 Lp "I Do Not Play No Rock and Roll",one of the greatest acoustic blues records ever cut !),Furry Lewis,Blind Boy Fuller,and Brownie McGhee, amoung others.Now,I will grant you,most of the covers of such songs,from the period that immediately pop into my head,are by American bands,from the second wave of blues-rock(1966-72),but I'm sure there were earlier ones.I'm not at home now,so i can't spend an hour or two poring over my records.
  Roger Kulp

steven c <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Actually, what I find both interesting and annoying is the fact
that most modern-day "blues lovers" and "blues fans" as well as
"blues musicians" are blissfully ignorant of just about every
earlier bluesman except for Robert Johnson!" (Although it did
let me pick up quite a few Broonzy 78's for reasonable prices!).

I pretty well blame this on the fact that just about the only
LP of pre-electric blues back in the early fifties, when the
noted figures of the "British Blues Invasion" were musically
"cutting their teeth," was the noted CBS reissue...Johnson's
"King Of the Delta Blues Singers" (which later inspired a
sequel!). In turn, this may have been because John Hammond
had heard (record-wise) and heard OF Johnson, finding out
he(RJ) been murdered when he(JH) tried to hire him for the
"Spirituals To Swing" concert in '38.

Steven C. Barr

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1�/min.