I'm preparing training for staff on the changes that OCLC is implementing
in Connexion 1.6.  With Connexion release 1.6, we now have available a
number of new characters in Basic Latin and Extended Latin.  LC's document
"Usage of 'New' MARC 21 Characters in MARC-8 Records" at
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/newchar2.pdf indicates that LC will be
revising LCRIs 1.0E and 1.4F5 and DCM Z1 670 once these characters are
able to be used in LC records and in authority records.

It would appear that OCLC now permits the use of most of these characters,
although Technical Bulletin 252 states that use of some of the extended
Latin characters is "subject to revision of Library of Congress Rule
Interpretation 1.0E where appropriate."  The Technical Bulletin also notes
that PCC participants should follow PCC practices for the extended Latin
characters.

I understand that for records which are being shared between PCC members
and LC and which are redistributed by CDS (i.e. NACO, SACO, and CONSER
records) that it's imperative to wait until LC is ready to accept these
new characters.  My question has to do with BIBCO records that are not
currently being or going to be distributed by CDS (this would exclude
future BIBCO records for integrating resources): can we start using these
new characters in these BIBCO records?  Are there technical or policy
reasons why the new characters could not start being used immediately in
BIBCO records created outside LC?

If we have to hold off on using all of these new characters until LC
revises and posts its documentation, can someone at LC give us an idea of
when that may be expected?

Thank you,

Adam

Adam L. Schiff