> From: "Scherle, Ryan E" <[log in to unmask]>
> > > The bottom line, then is that if we define cql.anywhere properly, we
> > > don't need the excludeOriginInfo modifier.
> >
> > But what if originInfo is searchable?  (Or partially searchable, e.g.
> > placeOfOrigin is searchable.)
>
> Ahhh, I think I understand your point. I assume you mean something like
> "What if originInfo is one of the searchable indices? Then, the
> definition of cql.anywhere would force it to be searched along with the
> other indices, regardless of whether it is useful for keyword
> searching." (Let me know if I'm misunderstanding.)

Yes, that's right.

> 1) Redefine cql.anywhere to search "all useful keywords" rather than
> "all available indices". I would be in favor of this, because I don't
> see a great need for searching over "all available indices" when the
> owner of the server has determined that some subset of the indices is
> more useful for keyword searches.

However there are others who do have a requirement to search over all
available indexes so I don't see this as an option.  There needs to be a
distinction between "anwhere" and "keyword".

> 2) Add a bib.keywords index (or cql.keywords?), and note how it differs
> from cql.anywhere. This is reasonable,  but may be confusing.

It may be that the simplest approach is to simply define bib.keyword and let
the server decide what it maps to (and explain it in explain).   I don't
think this would be confusing.

Then if there is a need for other, more-specific keyword indexes they can be
defined later, or in a different set.

--Ray